on 5 February 2006
As a nineteen year old guitarist I have listened to different types of guitar music, many of them punk, many of them rock n roll but one area I never touched untill recently is country. It's afterall one of those things that your old man listens to more often than your James Blunt records.
I came across Johnny Cash in a reviews section for this cd, and it stated this album is probably the best starting point for anyone new to his material. So basically Johnny Cash is my first country record, and when I bought I was suprisingly anxious to hear it.
The opening title track Ring of Fire I had already heard prior to purchasing this, and even as I play this now, it still remains classic as it is on the first listen. The compilation isn't set in chronological order unfortunately, but why complain when this is one of the greatest songwriters/guitar players I have heard in a long time.
Aside from great studio tunes like I Walk the Line, Cry! Cry! Cry! and the appropriately titled Man in Black, there is also two cuts from his live San Quentin album. A Boy Named Sue is very tongue in cheek whilst San Quentin certainly pushes the jolly notes on the prisoners he played this for.
I would recommend this to anyone that's new to country music, Johnny Cash is a great songwriter, a wonderful guitarist and a legend in his own right. I might consider reading his biography and watching Walk The Line.
Oh, don't forget to check out his cover songs, just proves he was willing to try anything. Just think a man with a guitar dressed in black and he's a legend, doesn't that make you want to pick up a guitar and start your own band. :-)
0Comment| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?