on 5 July 2010
I was already a Holden fan before I bought this. I loved Nothing and Come to me, The two tracks holden created together with Julie Thompson... I didn't really like Horizon, solstice and break in the cloud all that much but then again I am not really into trance.

I was in for quite a surprise!
This, this is different. Not only when compared to his previous work but in general. I wouldn't even really know what genre to call this and i guess that's not really important. Most people seem to label this as minimal but somehow that feels really out of place for me. I mean Villalobos is minimal and i really don't like that stuff. This is very layered and textured. I have been coming back to this album for almost 5 years now and I can not get enough of it. Each individual sound and note seems to have been tweaked to make it hit the magic spot. You know the spot where your brain goes liquid. I can't even pick my favorite track. They are all so different and mind bogglingly fresh.

No-one can be told what Holden sounds like, you have to experience it for yourself.

A bit of warning. I would say that out of my group of friends 33% LOVES it and the rest HATES it. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground and I guess it's not for everyone. I don't know if this tells you anything but I am a huge fan of Nine Inch Nails, Velvet Underground, Vitalic, Sigur Ros and Trentemoller. I would assume that if you like any of these bands there is a good chance that you ll find something to love here too. In fact in my head this sounds like Holden found a way to let all these artists play at the same time and using his special magic he somehow makes it work.

Another image that always pops into my head is a dieing machine crying for help and Holden desperately trying to keep it alive. Life is always more beautiful on the edge of death.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink