2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, 5 Jun. 2008
This review is from: 22 Dreams (Audio CD)
Ok, let's get to the point. As usual there are loads of rave reviews for Paul Weller's latest release. However, I deal in reality and reality tells me that in a few months time the majority of Weller fans won't be playing 22 dreams very much. In a nutshell the album is devoid of decent tunes and Weller's voice at times sounds irritating and off key. This is the sort of album that after listening to it for longer than 15 minutes can put you into a dreadful mood.

Meanwhile the yesmen will heap praise on Pauls latest effort. However, in a few years time 22 Dreams will be selling poorly and largely forgotten.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Jun 2008 09:30:05 BDT
Andy Sweeney says:
Or perhaps people are giving the album 'rave' reviews because they genuinely think that it is excellent. Your point of view isn't "reality", it is merely your opinion. Enjoying an album doesn't make you a 'yesman', it simply means that you enjoyed an album. I respect your right to dislike '22 Dreams', but you should really respect the right of others to enjoy it without being disrespectful to them.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jun 2008 19:21:04 BDT
Mark my words A Sweeney I am still totally right. Just watch your copy of 22 Dreams gather dust as with each passing month you play it less and less.

Posted on 6 Jun 2008 19:49:33 BDT
This is probably his best work for years , it escapes the Mod rock syndrome that he found himself in and puts him enjoying a musical diversity that Mr.Weller has only previously given us glimpses of with TSC , the album reminds me of the genius of HELIOCENTRIC, bet you love that one........................................not

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jun 2008 20:00:32 BDT
Andy Sweeney says:
Forgive me for saying that you are coming across as more than a little arrogant. Besides, I think I can tell you a little more about my musical taste than you can, Mr. Rudram. You're entitled to your opinion about this album and the people who have enjoyed this album and given it a positive review are entitled to theirs, but musical taste is subjective and it is therefore a bold statement to say that any one person is 'right'.

Posted on 9 Jun 2008 14:21:25 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Jun 2008 14:22:11 BDT
Wooltonian says:
I agree with the reviewer. I am holding back from posting a review for the time being, because I want to listen to the album a bit more, but my initial feeling is that Weller is trying out too many styles and the album lacks cohesion. Additionally, there seems to be a shortage of really strong, memorable songs - in whatever style.

This is the old 'White Album' argument. The album is incredibly diverse and should be applauded for that -- but diversity in itself doesn't make an album good. The songs need to be memorable and consistent - and at the moment I'm not hearing that. I think Weller's last album (2005's 'As is Now') pulled off that trick -- being varied in style but holding together really well.

Just as a footnote, I can't believe how many people posted their reviews after the album had been out for one day. How can you possibly form a rounded opinion in that time?

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jun 2008 18:59:00 BDT
Andy Sweeney says:
In reply to your footnote, I had listened to the album at least half a dozen times in the space of two days before writing my review. Of course, people's opinions will change over time, but how long do you think professional music reviewers get to review their albums for commercial publications and how many plays do you think they give them before writing their reviews?

I honestly believe that a balanced review of an album cannot be written after a couple of listens, but a good understanding of the depth of the material can certainly be gained within a one-two day period of concentrated listening. Besides which, I'd been looking forward to this release a great deal, so it wasn't exactly a chore to listen to '22 Dreams' repeatedly over a couple of days!

Posted on 2 Dec 2008 21:20:37 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Dec 2008 21:21:34 GMT
Bungliemutt says:
So, Mr D.J. 'David J Rudram' Rudram you are totally right, and you deal in reality do you? 5 stars for a Jethro Tull album? Methinks not. I'm with A. Sweeney on this one. Oh, and the Paul Weller album is great too.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2008 17:59:24 GMT
Thanks Walter for your comment. It's a strange thought isn't it that I am possibly the only person on this planet who is a combined Paul Weller and Jethro Tull fan. This makes me quite unique and interesting to know. Mind you though I only really like Jethro Tull's output up to and including 1979. After that things got very problematic. It's the same with Pauls recent albums. I think that quality wise things started to go downhill after Heliocentric. I think that at the moment Paul Weller could put out any old rubbish and the music press would heap praise on it. Also I think that he is possibly surrounded by too many people who are telling him that whatever he does is fantastic. I recently gave 22 Dreams another go and still find it very untuneful and uneasy listening. Some of it sounds like Pentangle done very badly. From a musical point of view Paul Weller would probably agree with my five star Jethro Tull album rating. However, from a fashion point of view he would probably give it minus five. I accept this.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Dec 2008 00:36:09 GMT
Mr. A. Egan says:
'more than a little arrogant', i'd say !
‹ Previous 1 Next ›