on 1 December 2010
My wife borrowed this book from the library a while ago, and I read it to our 2 year old. It was enjoyable and fun, and then we came to the last two pages. I'm not a sentimental type, but I don't mind saying that I cried (a bit embarrassing with a two year old on your lap!), I didn't expect the ending at all.

This book works on so many levels, you can relate it to an enormous range of life situations: it can be all about valuing friendship; it can be about losing a loved grandparent or other relative; it can be about moving to a new home and leaving friends behind; it can be about appreciating the value of someone who may be physically or mentally challenged; the list goes on. To me, the last two pages are almost inspired, the text is perfect and the pictures moving.

There are a lot of kids' books out there, some are good, some are great, some are indifferent, some are genuinely poor. Some are special. This is a special one.
What's this?