on 27 July 2010
I had to buy a replacement for my TVonics freeview digital recorder - as it crashed! - and I couldn't find one that I liked at a reasonable price. I found this while searching through - and thought I would give it a go.

It is quite large - considering the size of the TVonics one that I absolutely loved and am still grieving for - but there was plenty of room under the TV, so that wasn't an issue. Very easy to set up - gives you clear instructions on how to connect to your tv, and video recorder as well. Simple on screen instructions on what to do - good for me, as I am not very technically minded! - and within 10 minutes you are up and running! You have a 14 day EPG (electonic programme guide) - but bear in mind to use this facility it does take a full 24 hours to load up. There is the option of topping up your tv, but I have not done this. It said in the hand book that it comes with a top up tv card, mine didn't. But as I don't want to use this, that isn't a problem. Recording programmes is easy - and once recorded, they are automatically put into folders depending on what it is ie film, factual, childrens, etc., or they are just listed by recording date on the first page. It will also give you the option of recording a whole series - very handy - and unlike my TVonics one, does not record the repeats!! It also uses twin tuners - so can record two programmes at once. I have used this feature, and although I was skeptical, it does work!

The only down side is that it does have quite a loud humming noise - which is always there, even when it is off (ie on standby). The only way to stop this is to turn it off from the wall - which is slightly irritating and you can't do that if you are taping something over night. It also feels quite warm to touch - but again, I assume that is part of the design.

All in all, a good product - and a good replacement for the dearly departed TVonics.

Update: 16th October -
Well, it has crashed. After just 3 months. I am starting to think that I am a jinx! This is the third one that has crashed now and I am getting really annoyed. I am considering just getting a plain set top box - not so many things to go wrong. The other annoying, and surprising thing, was the humming sound. For a bedroom, it is very very loud and some nights I did have to turn if off from the socket. Be aware, also, if you purchase this item that in standby mode it is using alot of electric - so if you are cost conscious, this might not be the product for you. There are certainly better ones out there, albeit more expensive, that won't drive up your electric bill so high (ours went up ALOT since purchasing this product). If anyone knows if a freeview digital recorder, that actually works longer than 12 months, please let me know?!
1111 Comments| 230 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?