on 10 October 2013
Having had my Raspberry Pi since Christmas 2012 but never having opened the box it was probably time I worked out how to use it. So with the help of this book I unpacked the tiny computer and hooked everything up. I am a very technical person and I have an ancient background in computers from the 1990s but have not looked at lines of code, outside websites, for many many years since. So with that in mind I set about reading the book first.

It is the 'standard' dummies format with Tips, reminders and warnings to highlight those daft errors that can take ages to track down if you're not looking for the simple things like the difference between ( and {.

Never having wrestled with linux for more than a few characters the books easy style, although sometimes a bit too dummy for me, did explain plenty of the ways in which to program the Pi and seeing this I ditched the cautious 'read the book first' and whipped out the Pi and connected it up. In the time it took to read 3 chapter I was up and running :o)

Now I was quite happy to bounce around the chapters, not really worrying about photo editing I skipped straight to the the networked media section (Ch9). Again in the time it took to read a few pages I was watching movies from my home server.

Honestly I've skipped through the Scratch programming section as that is a whole other world I don't really want to dive into yet. But I've started looking at the later 'projects' chapters with profound interest and will be diving into those soon.

Overall a very well written book, that eases you through your Raspberry Pi life with confidence and allows you to explore the possibilities of this tiny computer.
0Comment| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?