TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 June 2013
It is my opinion that Skyrim is one of the greatest games of this generation. I bought the original game on release and played it over three months until I gained the platinum trophy, racking up about 174 hours of gameplay in the process, the game has a vast open world with so much to do and see, the main quest line itself is huge but there are also multitudes of side quests and miscellaneous quests that it would have been easy to play for even longer. I then traded it in knowing that eventually there would be new content and a "game of the year" (or in this case, Legendary) edition would be released in the future at which point I would be able to pick it up again.

I am sure most people will be aware of the huge backlash against Bethesda after the PS3 version of Skyrim was released, people experienced problems with the game lagging and freezing up forcing you to hard reset your console, there were also reports of quests glitching, dragons flying backwards and then the dlc was held up because there were issues with it's compatibility. So I was starting to think this edition was never going to make it on to the PS3. I was disappointed, but there was no way I was going to be able to just upgrade my PC to play it and although I do have an xbox 360 I grew weary at the thought of starting again from scratch on that platform just to play new content, I wanted to play using my level 50 character who had been with me from day one, we'd been through a lot togehter, didn't seem right to just dump her and start again! But finally, after numerous patches and several delays, here we are again.

I must admit that I was fairly lucky with the original game, I did not experience anything like as many problems that some of my friends and posters on gaming forums had. I did find that saving regularly and deleting old save files helped a lot and luckily I only experienced minor lag and a few freezes. I learnt to spot when it was coming and save and quit before it completely crashed. It was somewhat ironic that the game was patched mere days after I got the platinum trophy.

So, I had not played Skyrim since January 2012, and was looking forward to returning to the game world. Things do appear to be running more smoothly, I have put in about 8 hours so far and have had no freezing, no crashes and only a very minor slowing down, which typically occurs after fast travelling to a big town with a lot going on eg solitude.

The new content is very good so far, I am enjoying the Dawnguard questline, which allows you to either be a vampire hunter or become a vampire, which gives the game replayability value as most people will want to try both, I certainly will! I have also built a house in Falkreath thanks to the Hearthfire expansion but have not any children living there yet although again I will be trying that out too. I have not started the Dragonborn quests yet as I have heard that this is the best add on so I am saving the best until last, I am sure I will not be disappointed. All in all this set is great value for money adding on many hours of extra gameplay and more trophies for trophy hunters.

Some may view the bugs and glitches that have plagued the PS3 version as game breakers and everyone's experience is a different one, and a valid one, if you say it is unplayable to you then who am I to argue, it seems a lot of people had it worse than I did, I use an upgraded 80GB "fat" PS3, other models may differ, I can only speak for myself. I was actually called a fangirl and an apologist by people on forums just for stating that my game experience was not as bad as others. Oh well that's the internet for you, you can't please everyone! I think that if you have multiple systems available to you then maybe playing on PS3 is not the best option but if you only have a PS3 I would not let these issues put you off, if you enjoy open world RPG games and fantasy games in general there is a lot to love here, the game itself is worth five or even more stars, but for the problems it has had a star has been deducted. However now I have this definitive edition with all the content I will never trade it in again and will return to it whenever I want to lose myself in the immersive, beautiful world of skyrim.
1010 Comments| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details