on 1 October 2012
I've been learning to play the guitar for a while, inspired by Guitar Hero. This makes learning a lot more fun. It isn't an easy game for us old codgers but it is fun. As others have said it isn't perfect but you can work around most problems. The songs are great and there are expansion packs to suit all tastes. Being able to learn the Bass is a bonus. There are separate games, practice sessions and techniques. There are different guitars and effects pedals you can add in to customize your own sound. I can probably rig it up to play through my guitar amp as well. It's very instructive for young learners. It all adds up to helping you to go on and play without the game.

If I have one criticism is it is that the on screen graphics can be a bit confusing. The runway with the approaching notes is at an angle and, unlike Guitar Hero, the fretboard slides from side to side so sometimes I am unsure which fret the approaching note is played at. I would prefer to have the frets numbered as well as the runway. I'll probably get used to it in time.

Tuning up before every piece is tiresome, and one of the games frustratingly played different notes to the ones I was playing. And, it does take time to load the chosen game. But they are all minor frustrations.

A great choice for guitar heroes of all ages. If you haven't got a guitar you can pick one up on eBay for peanuts. Having said that, the game + Epiphone guitar looks good value.

I think I'll try a bit of Slash next. Now where did I put my hat?
What's this?