on 5 November 2012
I brought this phone from Vodofone. The battery only lasted for 8 hours and it really overheated during a 15 minutes conversation. Also I had no reception at home (2 streets away from the shop and I always had reception on my old buttoned phone, on the same tariff). So I exchanged it, because I really like the graphics (better than my laptop) and the camera, which takes photos quickly, allowing for many shots in one go. But the exchanged product was just as bad, apart from not overheating. Again the battery lasts for just 8 hours, I have little reception at home and I cannot get internet whenever I'm indoors, no matter where, whereas I had no problem with my old phone. It's a shame, because they put a lot of effort in the graphics and camera, but provided a cheap antenna and battery, maybe to keep the price down. The phone is designed for google, yet I couldn't enter their play shop without being outside.

There are other design flaws, such as contacts are stuck below the call list (and under the keyboard) and you can't choose to close an app while in it. Only from a list of apps running, and only once you leave it. I looked into reducing battery power: disabled apps I don't need (tonnes on the phone, like for driving and I never took a driving test)! I also kept closing apps I wasn't using and switching on sleep between use, but the phone does that anyway, the second my finger leaves the screen. The options for sleep are either 2 mins to below one minute (so you'll have to zoom with whatever you want to do) or 10 mins. There's nothing in-between. Nothing helped. Also their help site has a section on keeping battery down, so they knew this would be an issue. I can't help but be reminded of when I thought I'll be clever and try to save by getting a cheap touchscreen Nokia phone. Had to send that back and now look what happened to Nokia. If HTC are not careful they'll follow. There's no point having a smartphone if you can't download and use online apps and can't do the basics of having a phone - ie: calling and just browsing the net. I'll have to go back to my old buttoned sony elm, until I can find a descent alternative. But going by reviews this would be either squashing out or getting just a basic phone. At the best this phone is a very overpriced digital picture frame, even the photos taken by it look a bit fuzzy. Now I think about it, it only focuses well if something is close by and you have to press where to focus, where my old elm phone did it automatically.

Edit: Just to add, as was reminded by the review above me praising the flash, it's too bright and makes everything appear white!
77 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?