on 12 July 2009
I went to see Till Fellner play the Bach inventions live about 2 years ago in the Wigmore Hall in London. I had always loved Bach's inventions having first come across them as a ten year old when I heard a selection of them by Walter/wendy carlos, I went on to buy the recordings by both Glenn Gould and Angela Hewitt, both good recordings.
Anyway, in the concert he played them one after the other, and when he got to track 6 - (in E Major), it was a slow piece and I was mesmerised by the beauty and slowness and just the sheer meaning he put into the peformance. The following monday I was looking for the recording that he surely had out and was promoting with this concert...nothing. I looked for it on and off for two years until one day, there it was, the inventions and sinfonias with an ECM recording by Till Fellner. I bought it instantly and sure enough his studio recording of the E Major invention is there in all its glory pretty much as he played it that day. Of course the inventions are masterpeices in their own right, and Fellner plays the slow and the fast ones with consumate artistry.

With this studio recording Till Fellner has added to the stock of beauty in the world. The playing is limpid, clear, conscious, the rubato is lovely, and the recording is great.
I doubt that many people would regret buying this superlative disk.

I have his Well Tempered Klavier (book one) recording and that is wonderful too.
I think that if he goes on in this way, we can hopefully expect more and more sublime things from this pianist.
9 people found this helpful