5.0 out of 5 stars A review for the older gamer!, 21 Mar. 2010
This review is from: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Game of the Year - Platinum (PS3) (Video Game)
I am what might be described as a more 'mature' gamer. I'm also female. Now, I don't want to be accused of being ageist or sexist BUT I wanted to write a review specifically for the older person who might pass over this game because they think that it's all about fighting, war, death, destruction etc.

Well, not the way I play it it isn't...

I think this is the best game I've ever played, bar none. I first got hooked on it on the PC and loved it so much I eventually bought a PS3 and a new TV so that I could play it on a big screen with a proper controller and everything...which also made it the most expensive game, bar none :-)

It's now an old game, and so the graphics are not as good as will be found in such games as Uncharted 2 and Fallout 3. But they're still very good, and there is a real sense of atmosphere and depth.

During the first few minutes of the game (or the first few hours, depending on your ability. Or the first few days, in my case...), you go through a kind of tutorial. This takes you out of prison and through a dungeon full of rats and nasties to be killed - finding out along the way how to use various weapons and spells. But - don't let this put you off. Because once you get out of the dungeon you enter the Province of Cyrodiil - a kind of medieval land where magic is common and the gun hasn't been invented, so you must use swords or fists if you want to fight - and thereafter you can wander around and do just as you please. It is a COMPLETE sandbox and you play in any order you please - you can even start a mission, drop it, and pick it up later... which is perfect for me (having the attention span of a mouse...)

You also design your character: goody or baddy, male or female, human or non-human - the choices are many. You also choose your skills and attributes, and you can spend as long as you like fine-tweaking your characters physical appearance.

By making your way to different towns, you can pick up various quests (missions) along the way. Some of these are simple, some of them are difficult, all of them are good fun - and most earn you money or goodies if you complete them. You might be asked to find out who stole a painting, or re-unite a couple of estranged brothers, or help clear a farm of horrible trolls... There is some thwacking and killing along the way, but mostly of scamps or trolls or wolves, so it's not too gruesome.

(You can play a wholly different game of course - you can be a murderous warrior if you like...)

This Game Of The Year edition includes Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles, which are good sized extensions to the original game, and I think they're worth having. There are so many hours of gaming here I STILL haven't completed it - and I have been playing the game for YEARS!!!!

Overall, this is such immersive fun and can be anything you want it to be. You can become an expert in magic and cast spells, or you can become a thief and an expert at sneaking around. You can be Mr Good Guy or Girl and go around helping everyone so they all like you, and spend your money on new clothes and houses, furnishings and even your own horse. Yes - you can ride around on a horse if you like - cantering through the woods stopping to collect herbs and flowers along the way, before standing by the water's edge to have a glass of wine and a bite of bread... no finer way to spend your leisure hours.....

But the game is awesome everywhere - and I just wanted to write a review for people who might pass this game by, thinking that it was merely another violent war game. Well, it CAN be, but it doesn't have to be.

Try it and you'll be enthralled!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 May 2010, 21:43:08 BST
Great review!

From a fellow mature gamer since 1978

Patrik

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jun 2010, 19:17:54 BST
Bookish says:
Thank you! I heard a whisper that a follow up to Oblivion is planned for late 2010 - here's hoping!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jun 2010, 21:45:32 BST
Last edited by the author on 10 Jun 2010, 21:45:58 BST
BluePie says:
Great review, I've actually owned this on PC and PS3 before but I couldn't really get into it, but I may just have another stab. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jun 2010, 18:49:02 BST
Bookish says:
I think it's a great game, and I really haven't found anything to rival it yet in terms of size and game variety. It's obviously dated in terms of graphics now...

I see you also like The Year of The Cornflake - and the other books Faith Addis wrote. I love them too: still make me laugh today.

Posted on 17 Jul 2010, 12:20:57 BST
Like others have said, a great review.
I bought this game on a whim earlier in the year and it wasn't to be regretted.

The game is Huge, I'm just amazed I hadn't picked it up earlier. I have not played any of the elder scrolls games before so I bought it at an amazingly cheap price with an open mind and I have not touched another game since.

I pre-ordered Final Fantasy 13 before I bought this, and when it arrived played it for a few days and went back to Oblivion. It had that much more appeal to me. I will go back to Final Fantasy eventually I suppose but I am engrossed in this world at the moment. I have now got the crusaders equipment after completing the knights of the nine quest.

To any passer by, try it you won't regret it. Just be prepared to spend many days or more playing it :)

Posted on 29 Nov 2010, 17:12:27 GMT
P. Powell says:
Thank you ! As a "mature" lady gamer myself i am looking for a non violent war game that will hold my interest. I have just oredered this and cant wait :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2010, 17:17:50 GMT
Bookish says:
You're most welcome - I bet you'll love it! Just don't be put off by the beginning where you have to get out of prison and go through the sewers and dungeons. Stick with it and you'll soon be out in the open world :-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›