5.0 out of 5 stars I really can't fault this PC, 2 April 2013
This review is from: Zoostorm 7877-0095 Premium PC (Intel Core i5-3330, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit) - Metallic (Personal Computers)
Very fast delivery. Had it set up and running within minutes. Its an extremely fast machine but slightly noisier than I would like. The graphics are a tad basic but I plan on installing a new nVidea GTX 660 and PSU which should fix that.

All in all I would highly recommend this machine: an amazing piece of kit for the price.

EDIT: Well, replaced the PSU with a 750W unit, added a BluRay RW and a GTX 660 graphics card.

Now for the problems. :-)

The new PSU came with sheathed cables which means I can't actually reconnect the cables to the original DVD RW because of lack of space between the PSU and the DVD. Also the PSU doesn't have a square 4-pin auxiliary motherboard power connector so I've had to buy a 4-pin Molex converter cable to give the motherboard enough juice to make the CPU fan work. These are problems with the PSU and not the Zoostorm (apart from the space problem between the PSU and the DVD.)

The graphics card was a problem because the end covers of the Zoostorm are not easily removable. Only the one which lines up with the PCIe slot is removable. The rest are all part of one unit and you have to get quite physical with a screwdriver and tin-snips to get another off as the GTX 660 needs two end covers removing.

I still stand by my 5 star rating for this machine, though. The only problems I've had with it are because of the upgrades I've made. As sold its the dogs b*ll*cks!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Nov 2013 12:08:21 GMT
Juxxize says:
i want to buy this pc with plans of upgrading it like you have , should i look elsewhere do you think for one simpler to upgrade the graphics card

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Dec 2013 00:46:04 GMT
Slippery Jim says:
Hi Juxxize, I'd definitely still recommend the Zoostorm. Even as sold it is an incredibly fast machine for non-gaming purposes. Upgrading is a little fiddly due to the limited space but if that's an issue for you you could always consider buying a larger case. The biggest problem is that the motherboard only has one PCIe slot so further expansion is limited. My approach to this is that if I desperately need to add further PCIe cards I'd just buy a bigger case and a new, compatible motherboard and transfer all the other components across.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Dec 2013 21:41:52 GMT
Juxxize says:
cheers for the reply jim , yep buying a case isn't too bad as they don't cost that much . i was going to build a pc but I decided to buy one with the aim of upgrading over time you see because ...... well because I've never built one everyone says it's easy but buying this then upgrading sounds a better plan for some one with zero experience like myself. I don't want a gaming pc as such but I'd like it to be capable if you know what i mean :) and I want a pc with a hdmi slot on so I'd have to upgrade the card at some point .

Posted on 7 Dec 2013 00:14:28 GMT
Stu says:
Hi, Slippery Jim,

Thanks for your informative review.

Could you let me know how many SATA inputs your added graphics card covers? It looks a bit touch and go that the lower two SATA inputs will remain free (I'm thinking of installing the MSI Frozr 660 if funds permit).

Cheers,

Stuart.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Dec 2013 15:05:04 GMT
Hungry Joe says:
Many thanks for your info as I'm upgrading, very helpful, but also I find I can learn a lot from just sorting out issues like this. (Hungry Joe talks to Slippery Jim - made me laugh!)

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Dec 2013 22:34:37 GMT
Gray B says:
Are you going to use SLI? If you are doing SLI are you going to get a good gpu which is pcie and the other pci? Have you even read what he's said?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›