Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now Learn more

on January 26, 2011
This is one of the best books I have read in a long time, even though the title sounds a little tedious.

Firstly, Dr Servan-Schreiber is a research psychiatrist, so is in the medical profession himself; by chance, he discovered he had a brain tumour. He took the traditional route of surgery followed by radiotherapy/chemotherapy and recovered. Later on, he relapsed and devoted his time to finding out why. Bear in mind, he has access to published research that most complementary and alternative therapists don't.

Essentially, autopsies done on Asians show that they have just as many micro tumours as Westerners do. But they just don't develop into cancer. There are three main things which affect our chances of cancer gaining a hold: diet, exercise and stress.

Dr Servan-Schreiber stresses we should take the best that medicine has to offer us and -at the same time - take responsibility for how we live our lives. Certain foods are shown to have amazing effects, especially green tea and turmeric. Organic is best, but even if it is not available, if we eat the right foods, exercise moderately and learn to manage stress properly, this is enough to manage the "terrain" so the seeds of cancer cannot take root.

I have had treatment for a large brain tumour in the last 6 months, and this book reassures me that I can continue living without a relapse. Dr Servan-Schreiber has now done so for many years, so it can be done.

I found this book to be so inspiring and informative (and not anti-conventional treatment, as so many of these books are), that I bought a copy for my oncologist. I might well buy another one for my local doctors' surgery as well. It's a message that needs spreading.
44 comments| 138 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?