on 17 September 2012
This review was originally posted on Amazon.com on July 31st, the U.S. release date. It has been re-written in English for the benefit of U.K. music lovers.

...................................................................................

Fans of Radiohead may want to take a listen to this, the second release by Thenewno2.

Thanks again to NPR.com for streaming the whole thing for the week preceding its release. After liking a couple of the songs at first I gradually found myself loving all of them except one. Not being a fan of rap I found its low vibration on 'The Wait Around' brought an otherwise great tune down. Even so, I find myself singing the first part of it all the time. Highlights include, well, as I said, pretty much everything.

It's so interesting to hear Dhani Harrison, sounding so like his father on some tracks, singing these songs. Like Radiohead, there's a great mix of guitars and electronics but the sounds that hit me first were piano and (like Phil Selway's work) the great drumming. Frank Zummo sure can play those things.

This record is not just the son of a Beatle messing around with some mates to pass time, this is a serious, mature, rounded group effort. It's up there with the best music released so far this year. I didn't buy the first Thenewno2 release when it came out but I'll be checking it out now and I'll certainly be getting their next one.

So, ahem, definitely no air freshener required with this number two (sorry Dhani).

Update......

Tragic news from London recently. After writing a three star review of 'Thefearofmissingout' the normally sane Q Magazine reviewer John Aizlewood was rushed to hospital with what doctors are describing as the worst case of someone having their head up their a$$ that they have ever seen. Due to the depth of the insertion the rescue team that helped save those Chilean miners last year has been called in to help. A successful extraction is by no means certain and my thoughts and prayers go out to John and his family at this difficult time.

Updateno2 - December 2012.

Without doubt 'Thefearofmissingout' is my album of the year. It's been overlooked, ignored, and just plain missed by most people, as far as I can tell, but it's a superior collection of songs on so many levels. My review is woefully inadequate in describing the contents of this album but the right words have eluded me. It fills the gap where a good Radiohead release should have been. It's subtle, it rocks, it's moving, deep, beautiful and complex.

Incidentally, I did manage to create a successful, seamless edit of 'The Wait Around' - not a rapper can be heard, with a running time of 2.19.

To give some context to my enthusiastic frothing, here are my other favourites from this year:

Gaz Coombes - 'Here Come The Bombs' (a close second)
Grizzly Bear - 'Shields'
Hot Chip - 'In Our Heads'
The Shins - 'Port Of Morrow'
Matthew Dear - 'Beams'
Muse - 'The 2nd Law'
0Comment| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details