on 5 October 2003
When I first flicked through this book I was rather disappointed by some of the pictures whilst others were good. It was only when I took the time to read the accompanying text that I realised the purpose of the “dull pictures” was to provide the good images with context.
What the author has done is illustrate how by focussing in on one aspect of a scene, a stunning image can be created from an otherwise dull composition. Fundamental concepts such as line, form, shape and texture are covered and well illustrated. The author also illustrates well the properties of lens, aperture and shutter speed and how these can be used to emphases elements of a composition whilst removing other distractions.
Whilst much of the information is not new and may appear basic, its when you take the time to combine the elements and learn to consider the options available that you gain the real value from this book. If I could learn to implement all of the information in this book before I press the shutter release, I am certain that I would produce consistently impressive work. My work has improved as a result of reading and practicing from this book although I have found myself taking many more experimental shots of the same composition.
0Comment| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?