5 of 6 people found the following review helpful
Rivers In Brief,
This review is from: Rivers of London: The First PC Grant Mystery (Hardcover)
What you need to know:
* Great rollercoaster pacing draws you through the book.
* Deep plot with a mystery to solve and plenty of twists to throw you.
* Engaging characters who seem down to earth and not exaggerated.
* Elements of magic and the supernatural that blend into the story well.
* Occasional use of expostion when dialogue would have made more sense and added flavour.
* Too little explanation: Despite the protaganist being new to the supernatural and having a wise mentor almost nothing is explained. What is magic? What are ghosts? This made it hard to solve the mystery myself, which I love to do.
Yes: you can compare it to The Dresden Files but it'd be like comparing The Bill to Burn Notice. It has more local colour and a better suspension of disbelief. Enjoy them both, it's not a competition.
On the whole a great read and well recommended. Read it. Enjoy it.