on 28 June 2012
Perhaps being generous with a 4/5, 3.5 seems a little more likely. It was, overall, a good book. The premise was enough to make me want to purchase, the strong characterisation and sense of setting keeping me hooked throughout. Being from the UK, I have very little knowledge about baseball and I think it may have hindered my enjoyment somewhat as some terminology went over my head, however I still enjoyed this book immensely.

Following the lives of five characters that are all affected by a wayward throw of rising star shortstop Henry Skrimshander, the concept hooked me immediately as something that, if executed well, could be awesome. I sped through the first 150 pages or so, the pace quick enough that I didn't want to put it down but, towards the middle, the story began to slow down and I was almost waiting for something to happen. I dipped in and out of it, not really sticking with it for any long period of time. However, it is a testament to the writing that the characters till remained clear along with the settings and I still thought of the characters lives despite my not reading it.

The pace picked up again towards the end, finishing the last 100 or so pages in one sitting, and I was left satisfied with the resolutions for each character. I feel they all lived out their arcs within the story quite well and, cheesy as it sounds, I miss them a little bit. They were so well drawn that they felt as if they were close friends rather than fictional entities.

Don't read the hype, just read the book. :)
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink