5.0 out of 5 stars Like having an old friend for dinner..., 2 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Hannibal - Season 1 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
The ending of the final episode the other night left me feeling gutted. Not because it's rubbish. Quite the opposite. I have to wait God knows how long for more!!

It's safe to say this show had me wrapped up in it's spell. I was initially weary of it, fearing the creators were going to take a series of books and films I admire and curl out a big steaming dog tail of a turd on the whole thing.

I realised how wrong I was pretty quickly and was left very impressed. I loved it's vision and direction. The eerie ambient music throughout sets the mood perfectly(such as the last episode where the use of wind being distorted lent it a very creepy atmosphere).

People complain about the violence. It's Hannibal. You know who's involved and what to expect. Water is wet, the sky is blue, Hannibal is bloody. It is what it is. But not gratuitously so. It's for a reason and beautifully executed. I liked it very much and felt I, as a viewer, wasn't being treated as a sensitive child. If I don't like it I have the option of turning it over. Same as you.

The acting is top notch for a television show. Mikkelsen played a great Hannibal, bringing something new to the table with his stony features and emotions. All the actors involved I was very impressed with but for me Hugh Dancy stole the show and deserves recognition for his portrayal of the character Will Graham. You read and watch the film 'Red Dragon' and not there's anything wrong with those particular masterworks, I just found the Hugh Dancy take on it much more interesting and impressive when he displays his gift as well as his curse and eventual illness.

I'm trying my best not to give too many spoilers so I'll shut up now and end it quick. If you haven't seen it, why not? get your copy as soon as you can, no regrets. If you have seen it then like me you've probably pre-ordered already. What a brilliant piece of work and I cant wait for season two. Recommended!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]