10 of 11 people found the following review helpful
lights and shadows...,
Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13: Masters Collector's Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
I have ordered this version at Amazon UK, as the Collectors Edition is not available/offered in germany.
Delivery was very fast and much quicker than expected.
Further more a code was provided from Amazon by mail for another course (Doral), which did not work in the beginning.
After consulting the Amazon customer service, who was also fast and engaging, i received a new and working one.
So - thank you very much for this positive and great customer experience, Amazon!
A short introduction (for a more accurate classification of my review):
I'm a computer golf gamer since the early beginnings (on the C64) and therefore i'm a fan of the TW series (on the PS3), too.
In last years TW12 i've played on Tour Pro, now on Tournament (without any aids, except the green grid).
- the new swing and putting system (i hate it at the beginning, but - after approx. 30 rounds - i really love and enjoy it now. Nevertheless some tweak tuning here and there is still necessary by EA, which could/would increase that feeling and the experience)
- good, but not amazing graphics IMHO (in terms of blurry effects, as i prefer crisp graphics)
- nice soundtrack (really like it in TW12, but this is another stepping up)
- (real and virtual) coin system with options for different investements (which is really a great motivation and fun factor)
- no freezes (on PS3 for me so far)
- still no sudden death for the 1st place (since more than 10 years now and which should be a basic requirement in any golf game)
- Harbour Town and Boston (which are my absolute favourites) are missing
- missising personal/individual statistics for each course (and depending on the choosen skill), even the scorecards are lacking on expected informations
- far to easy regarding fairway shots (even on Tournament skill - with a normal PS3 controller. Move is another story, i've not tested out so far), sometimes a bit to easy for approach shots and while putting (as there is nearly no difference concerning the conditions from wet to fast (bug?) and breaks/elevations are not impacting much)
- backswing window while putting is unnecessarily to small
- generating backspin on the ball isn't possible anymore, which causes less varity and exitement in the game
- Photo Face is not working (in terms of jiggered skin graphics) and without any similarity to reality
- lack of overall presentation/atmosphere (e.g. missing if you win a normal tournament. No other golfers/caddies are visible on the course. What about falling leaf, animals, planes and stuff like that? No screams from other fairways, if players are battling for the victory, which was already in the game in elder versions of TW. No more hole statistics at the start of a hole. No TV/broadcast overlays etc. It could be so easy to enhance the immersion...)
- fixed (follow) camera view within online tournaments
- no automatic flybys at the start of each hole (as an individual option in the settings)
- missing video tutorials (to explain the new mechanics in detail)
- shots on the practice facility (within the CE) without information how far you've hit the ball
- saving individual rounds or shots not possible anymore
- creating of custom courses not possible anymore
- course mastery was better in TW12
In a nutshell:
In the meantime i really like the new mechanics, as i do not need the swing meter anymore and it feels more like real golf (even with a standard controller).
IMHO it is another step forward and the best Tiger of the series so far. Thanks EA for this great game of golf!
Nevertheless there is room for improvement and - that's a pity - every new release makes also unnecessarily steps backwards in areas, where it already improved/glanced in the past.
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 Jan 2013, 21:36:42 GMT
Riadsala Yaltnac says:
Reading this review of the game, it appears that the game is not a patch on earlier versions? Perhaps the 5/5 score was for Amazon customer service?
In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jan 2013, 12:07:23 GMT
Der Lange says:
You are right - in terms of the game there are lacks (as the title already stated), especially the presentation is really bad compared to existing EA titles.
Nevertheless TW13 was a huge step forward, when is comes to gameplay and the new swing technics. For the first time i was able to play without indicators (on Tour level) and with a little bit of experience you can feel on each swing, right before you release, wheather tempo and direction is OK or faulty. Besides this i'm still playing the game with a lot of fun and motivation to get all course pins in gold (by virtual coins).
So rating for the game for me is still 4/5 and in combination with the superb service a 5/5.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›