on 2 August 2014
Here's my review, for what it's worth, of the almost-identical charcoal grey version. I prefer the grey. (I also got the round black one to give as a gift, just to confuse everyone.)

I am a square kind of guy in everything I do. I love 90-degree angles and I hate curves*. (Well, for most things.) In a previous life, I was Frank Lloyd Wright. To be honest, I made that bit up. I was in fact Piet Mondrian. Anyway, that's the formalities over, here comes the review...

When this beauty came up on Amazon at about 50% off the RRP, and even though the week before I'd bought the blacker, rounder version, also at a (short-lived) bargain price, and as there was just one left at the time, I CLICKED TO BUY without thinking twice, or even once.

This quartz (battery) watch is a relaunch, with tweaks, of the old - but timeless, no pun intended - Retro 70s designs of co-designers Dieter Rams and Dietrich Lubs.

Differences and similarities between the black, round design and square, grey design:

Not a lot of difference between the black and the charcoal grey colourways, unless seen side-by-side. I prefer grey, but that's probably less purist. The grey one has a date.

The round version is definitely a tad easier to read, especially by, say,a bedside lamp, due to the larger numerals.

The square version has tinier 00, 05, 10, 15 etc. numbers. The round one has the more usual 12, 1, 2, 3 etc.

Identical straps, apart from the black or charcoal colours. These smooth leather straps are comfortable, and long, so should fit all but the very biggest male wrists. They should probably go narrow enough to fit design-conscious ladies' wrists, too, but don't quote me on that. But think how cool THAT would look!

Both buckles and watch cases are matt aluminium colour. Hands are white and mustard yellow on both items.

Square version costs slightly more but has a tiny date. Legible to the under-40s but probably not to the children of the 70s without their readers!

Can't comment on battery life but I'll be back in timely fashion if they shut down in the next few months! (Update - fine!)

Build quality seems fine, but I definitely don't think these will be German engineered! There is nothing on the watches or packaging to identify where they are made, one way or the other. But I've not read the 2-year guarantee paperwork yet.

Nice, simple black packaging of foam rubber, clear acrylics, black card sleeves.

Hope all that helps. I will be back if anything goes awry.

*Yes, I know, the edges of the watch are slightly curved but I've had therapy and I am growing to like tiny curves. So retro - and so on-trend for this season!

JAN 2014 / Aug 14 - HAD THIS 18 months NOW, ALTHOUGH I 'KEEP IT FOR BEST' AND DON'T USE THE BATTERY 24/7. ALL FINE. NO PROBLEMS.
2 people found this helpful