on 17 February 2012
This was purchased a few months ago and has been well used since delivery from Garden Secrets (via Amazon). The Camera arrived quickly and was well packaged.
Having kept on 'putting off' the purchase of a 'trap camera' for many years I now wish I hadn't !

This camera has so far taken in excess of 10,000 photos.......I've used it for time-lapse a lot!. This feature isn't on most trap camera's and works really well on the little acorn. The interval of the time lapse is user defined - even down to every few seconds .

Trip Mode:

It's quite fast, probably between 1 & 1.5 seconds. - The reason why it is faster than most stealth cameras is because it has side sensors which prime the camera - however this can be switched off if they arn't needed.
I have it set to take 3 pictures every trip and have the next trip set to 0 secs after the last photo is taken. there is a lag between the last of the pictures being taken and the next time it will trip though, regardless of this setting - the lag is possibly around 5 to 10 secs though I' haven't accurately measured this.

Video Mode:

I don't use this much, daytime quaility is ok but don't expect too much.

Picture quality:

I believe this camera's sensor is rated as 5mp yet the camera's software interpolates this to 12mp.- imo no point in setting the quality above 5mp.
Daytime; The picture is reasonably sharp , colours not very vivid in cloudy conditions yet still acceptable and nothing a bit of editing can't sort out. Overall I'm happy with the quality of daytime photos from the little acorn, if not a tiny bit impressed.
Night-time; Maybe a little disappointed with the overall quality. Yet animals and birds are still identifiable and the infra red illuminates a sort of 30' diameter circle, the centre of which is brightst and it gradually fades towards the edge.

Other Points
* Infra-red illumination is visible to the naked eye , but only faintly. In use I've found it to be un-noticable when set to take just photo's - its when taking a video the IR stays on and is slightly noticable.....yet its only a dull dark red glow and if I didn't know where the camera was I doubt I'd notice it.
* Batteries - using duracell 2450ma rechargables , they don't seem to be affected by the cold and last for around 2000+ photos
* Case - fiddley and strangely designed... but its ok... seems durable and all the moving parts fit well and provides a waterproof seal.
* Menu - just remember to click 'ok' after you've selected your choice! otherwise straightforward, instructions not read or needed.
* Fixing to a tree ( or similar) This is where the case's design is good! - I use dark green plastic coated garden wire ( although a strap is included) and fixing takes hardly any more than a minute or 2, and because of the cases rounded rear it can be fixed to point at any angle away from the tree.

* Make sure for night-time the camera is not too close to the ground as the infrared pictures will be bleached and there is just white on the photo.

What the smallest thing that trips the camera? Mice trip it, so do birds. I was suprised, I've got a lot of photos of voles/shrews etc now!!

Summary:

UK stealth cameras seem to cost double or treble what they do in the US - with this in mind the little acorn is good value in the uk. It does do what it says, the results are pleasing & often exciting and it has the bonus of a time-lapse feature . Recommended

Update 9th March:

A strange little glitch has developed since I wrote the above.... my settings are sometimes 'reset' by the camera.... what happens, the switch has 3 settings, off - on - test... using test to set up the camera I would, say ,set it to take photo only and 3 pics per trip... I would then switch it to off , and when setting up the camera outside switch it to 'on' and leave. when I've retrieved the camera a few days later I find it's somehow reverted to its own setting.... sometimes camera+video sometimes just 1 photo per trip and most oddly sometimes, time-lapse.
Since this happened a couple of times I have tested it thoroughly and cannot get it to do the above... in other words it keeps my 'user-defined' setting intact.
I'll see what the next few weeks brings.

I failed to mention the screen on the rear of the unit in my review... This is a helpful feature when setting up the camera as its suprisingly hard to tell where the camera is pointing when its up on a tree... all it takes is while the camera is in test mode press the button and a photo is taken, playback the picture on the screen - have you just taken a picture of the sky?

The camera also has a useful tripod mount.
44 Comments| 275 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details