TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 October 2013
Thank you very very very VERY much to the author and publisher for the advanced copy of this book for review.

A Murder. A Suicide. Two Women share One Fate. Can you connect the clues to discover the killer? Solve the crime alongside DCI Louisa Smith and her team.

I will start by saying that initially, when I first heard that the next novel by Elizabeth Haynes was to be the start of a series rather than another stand alone book, I was concerned. For me, her particular brand of storytelling is of an extremely high standard, always stunning and never without its own unique twist on whatever subject was at its heart. By its very definition a series has to entail at least somewhat of a change of direction so lets take a look....

Well. Oh me of little faith. I forgot that Ms Haynes was clever. First of all by giving the investigation a healthy dose of authenticity, and then by setting the whole thing over a period of just 6 days. Also as the little blurb I gave above says...inviting us, the readers, to solve the crime right there alongside the main protagonist. Intelligently written as always and living up to the promise of allowing you to see, without prevarication, all the clues as and when they are discovered by the Police, it is an involving and creative reading experience. Thats not to say there are not plenty of surprises along the way and you will pause in your reading to ponder....

I loved Louisa (she eats muffins and cornish pasties whats not to love?) and the cast of characters surrounding her create perfect little pockets of yin and yang. Enough background and consolidation will pique your interest and almost guarantee that you will want to pick up the next instalment...yet as a complete, well rounded tale it also works extremely well.

The great thing about this is, if you were to ask me "Well what is different about this book from any other police procedural?" I would not be able to put my finger on it. After all, we have a murder, we have a Police team trying to solve it and we have various suspects, the story moves along apace in what might be termed a fairly definitive way - and yet there is something here that makes it that bit better. Perhaps it is simply that Elizabeth Haynes knows her stuff, is a hell of a writer and makes it as real as you can possibly get in a fictional setting...

Highly recommended. I want more Louisa Smith without a doubt. I also want more stand alone books. In fact I'll take anything. Could we hurry this along please?

Happy Reading Folks!
0Comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?