on 7 January 2013
I have read "Jekyll and Hyde" before, many moons ago when I was younger. Even then, it didn't "grab" me like I had expected. So I re-read Stevenson's classic tale with hopes of having my opinion changed. Unfortunately, I just cannot enjoy this novella as so many others have.

It is written well, with a suffocating and haunting atmosphere through the pages as Jekyll's grim experimentation is slowly revealed. The concept was revolutionary for the time and I would say it probably still is to be considered a very different basis for a novel within the sphere of what you might call "serious literature".

The narration style is, again, different and the story is detailed through differing narrators and provides an interesting juxtaposition of the perspectives of characters as Jekyll begins to lose control over his desire to be Hyde. His addiction (which could be interpreted in a modern sense, as an addiction to the effects of mind-altering drugs and a subsequent change in the mental perception of yourself) is desperate as Jekyll seeks to be the kinder, more moral version of himself rather than the passionate, primal Hyde.

However, there was something about it that meant it didn't hold my attention as I had wished it would. Due to the other (far more positive) reviews, I am sure it is more to do with me rather than the book itself. I so wished I could have enjoyed this but for some unknown reason, I was left underwhelmed.

I would recommend it to read as it is an absolute classic but if you don't enjoy, please know you are not alone!
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.