on 21 November 2010
I was quite surprised when this book was nominated for the Roald Dahl funny prize. Not because it is bad, on the contrary, it is quite excellently written.

It is simply because, I purchased this expecting The kind of laughter Walliams provides as 50 percent of Little Britain, yet this book, although amusing in places, did not provide the Belly laughs I expected. I only laughed out-loud once during the reading of this book and that was to a reference made about Little Britain.

I thought that the book instead was a wonderfully touching tale of the difference youung boys feel as teenagers. Different from their friends and peers and different to their relatives as well. The book was so well written that I didn't even care that, even though I bought it with the hope of instilling some jocularity to my life, I wasn't laughing constantly whilst reading it...

The writing alone is enough to give it 5 stars, but any book that is illustrated by the incomparable Quentin Blake deserves an extra star at least... Unfortunately I can't give it 6 stars, so the 5 stars are shared between Author and Illustrator...
0Comment| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details