Learn more Download now Browse your favorite restaurants Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

on 12 September 2014
As it says in the title, this is a book about the joy of teaching science and the author's delight in his profession leaps off the pages. It is a joy I recognise and I found myself nodding along with much of what he has to say. I would highly recommend this book to anyone new to science teaching or even thinking about being a science teacher.

The book is a useful summary of a wide range of material that I think all science teachers should be aware of, if not actively thinking about regularly - the author covers everything from the philosophy of science to spiralling the curriculum, as well as providing ideas for how to teach particular aspects of the curriculum. It is a short and easy to read book (a bonus for teachers hard-pressed for time) and it's clear that the author is a thoughtful, committed teacher - he comes across as the head of department I wish I'd first had.

I don't think the book is aiming to be the last word on teaching science, and I'm sure the author and I, and indeed other science teachers, could argue about lots of the details, but it's a much better book than those I read when I first started out as a teacher.

I am an experienced teacher, but this did not reduce my enjoyment of the book or stop me from finding much in it that was interesting and thought-provoking. I found myself envying the colleagues and students of the author and I am sure that the school he is at is lucky to have him.
5 people found this helpful