on 14 April 2009
This book is so exciting! I am a scientist with a strong appreciation of Darwin's work. However, prior to reading this, I had no real interest in Darwin the man. All the recent anniversary hype had left me with a feeling there was something dry and Victorian about him.
Not so. Once I overcame my fear of the poetic form, and started reading this book, I found myself drawn into a real world, Darwin's world, which was fascinating, beautiful and, sometimes, terrible. (This was not an age in which to be sick, or be a child-bearing woman.) I felt I was living through Darwin's experiences, understanding him in his world, and really liking and approving of him as a person.
I know the poetry must be expertly crafted, because at no time did the form stand in the way of the information. It enhanced it, without even being very noticeable. This is such a fluid read, and, unbelievably, it's poetry, a form I usually find requires too much work for me, the reader!
This book is a brilliant and addictive, hard to put down. There must be some inherited Genius at work. Congratulations to Darwin's great-great-grand-daughter, Ruth Padel!
What's this?