on 10 December 2008
Mr N D Harris seems to miss the point of this box set. This isn't supposed to replicate the Greatest Hits album or indeed be treated as such. I would guess that every person who buys this already has the songs on other albums. The whole point of this is simple - Nostalgia. These songs were issued as singles back in the days when singles actually meant something. Speaking from personal experience I would eagerly await the issue of a new single and, more often than not, would buy them even if I had the song on an LP. In these days of characterless MP3s and the obsession with quantity not quality there is very little to appeal to the serious music enthusiast who, as well as being a fan of the music, is also interested in the packaging. These type of releases serve two purposes - they help fans, like myself, relive their youth in a purposefully indulgent way and also allow the presentation of a product in a more exciting way than just a random compressed file on a computer. I, for one, applaud Queen and EMI for the effort and attention they have put into this project. My only criticism of the product is the price. It is WAY too expensive.
I hope labels keep on issuing products such as this. Some of us (quite a few by what I have ascertained) regard packaging as an essential part of music products. We are constantly ridiculed by the media for being old fashioned in our wish to hang on to paper and plastic. The MP3 has reduced music to a disposable commodity and I refuse to acknowledge it as a format. How refreshing to see a product that is unashamedly 'old-fashioned'. Long may it continue.
22 Comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?