on 31 March 2009
I bought this book from Amazon (super fast delivery by the way) a few months ago. I've been working in the London Market Insurance industry for about 6 months in Catastrophe risk.

I have 2 dictionaries on my desk, the Oxford English Dictionary and the FT Dictionary of Insurance. Every time I come across a word that I don't understand the proper meaning of, I pick up the Oxford English Dictionary and it provides me with a clear, concise definition which immediately leads to me understanding the word.

Every time I come across an insurance term that i don't know/understand I pick up the FT Dictionary of Insurance. More often than not, the word I am searching for is not in the dictionary (out of about 100 searches, I've so far found about 20 definitions). On the few occasions where the term is in the dictionary, it is often accompanied by a hazy definition that tends to confuse me more than before I picked up the book.

This is the second edition of the book first published in 1992. I can only come to the conclusion that many of the terms/definitions are very old and have not been adequately revised in the 2004 second edition.

I can't stress enough how poor a companion this dictionary is. The only reason it receives 2 stars instead of one is because it's well presented.
What's this?