on 28 May 2013
This is only a review for the first half of the book, I did not try any recipe.
I always defined myself as carnivorous (although I love eating fruits) and never liked eating cooked vegetables or green leafs.
But the author makes a very good case, backed by scientific evidence, for a better diet based on grean leafs, fruits, vegetables, nuts, mushrooms, berries, and little meat if any.
He also debunks many myths such as all the drugs doctors prescribe for benign colds that only mask the symptoms without really curing the disease. I related to that part a lot: I instinctively never went to any doctor for colds and always let my body naturally deal with it.
Thanks to this book, I now know better what to eat and what to avoid, and the real consequences of the food that we all know we should avoid (refined sugar, wheat, processed food in general, etc.)

Now enough of the theory and let's talk about the practice.
If you're like me, fond of meat and fruits but not vegetables, a good solution I found was to buy a juicer.
I recommend the Omega 8004/8006 (in Europe it is called Omega 8224/8226) for that.

I basically juice carrots, apples, pears (I like those), maybe half a grapefruit, some tomatoes, and I add all those grean leafs (kale, chard, spinnach, anything) and vegetables (broccoli, coliflower, etc) that I normally never eat.
A juice made with a masticating juicer is extremely high in nutrition that will get absorbed within 10 to 15mn on an empty stomach.
I drink 0.5 to 1L a day (unless on holidays)
I've been doing this for few months, never been better.
My bowel movements occur more often and I have more energy.
Drinking juice had reduced my craving for coffee: I used to drink 2 Latte Macchiato a day (with 2 shots of espresso in each), and I cut down to a maximum of 1, much smaller amount, with only 1 espresso shot (and only when I feel tired from lack of sleep).
My craving for meat reduced dramatically, I couldn't believe it.
I used to require meat for lunch AND dinner, and sometimes I'd even eat it for breakfast if available.
Now not anymore, I eat meat for lunch because I don't like mainstream vegetarian food, but for dinner I often do without and I eat fruits, drink a juice, or even an occasional vegetarian recipe (homemade, such as korean bibimbap).
When I go food shopping, I know buy loads of veggies instead of buying lot of meat.

So I recommend juicing if you would like to incorporate veggies and green leafs in your diet but hate the taste.
Not to mention the loss of nutrients when you cook those...
11 Comment| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?