on 29 December 2013
Look, I know it doesn't make much sense, but you will just have to trust me on this. After all, I'm totally aware that my point of view is as fragile as anybody else's. I mean you shouldn't take it as Gospel. In fact, thinking about it, even the Gospel shouldn't be taken as Gospel - probably. The thing is, our perceptions and prejudices change over time, we think we know everything, that we've reached some sort of a consensus, and then some little new piece of evidence gets unearthed and everything changes. That's the point I was trying to make before I started tying myself up in all sorts of intellectual knots anyway. The flat earth thing for example, or that stuff about 'was Shakespeare an alien?' Well that all changed didn't it. Nowadays everybody knows the earth is round and it's generally accepted that an alien did not write Shakespeare's plays. We have Pythagoras and Copernicus to thank for the stuff about the earth and 'The Power of Love', that greatest of plays and the last of the Comedies discovered in the old cottage, disproves the crazy Shakespeare stories. Academics stopped arguing about literary provenance when they realised nobody really cared. There was a time of course when there was some interest in the debate. Was Shakespeare Bacon, Marlow or some creature from outer space? But that was in the time when middle-aged men in brown corduroy trousers, dandruff encrusted tweed jackets, awful teeth and grubby ties stained with Bisto peopled the academic world,. - (Wasn't it Mr Harris you dirty old medieval dinosaur perve-sorry, I digress). People had fewer things to be interested in those days so a little had to go a long way. But as we all got overwhelmed with distractions, and the pressure to be aware of absolutely everything in the entire universe became very very important, the time available for anything that wasn't done dusted and more or less ready to go became increasingly limited. Anyway, I digress again, the point is not only can you trust nobody, as we have discussed at length elsewhere, but you can't really rely on what anybody tells you either. That's to say, in one way or another, all our houses are built on foundations of straw-or sand if you will - and the worst thing about it is, that having been at each others throats in defence of this theory or that theory, nobody really gives a damn when the climate of popular opinion gives a quick shrug, says `whatever' with a nasty whining estuarine inflexion, and moves on. Well, like I said, it's just my opinion for what its worth. I'm not handing down tablets of stone or anything like that, just making conversation you know, passing the time, tottering by gently etc...
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details