on May 6, 2011
I bought these headphones from currys, well I say THESE headphones, what I really mean is, I bought my first pair from currys, then my second pair, then my third pair then this final pair, I promised myself NO MORE!

I wanted these because I needed earphones to remain in my ear whilst running for long periods of time, so the hooked design seemed more than appropriate at first glance. Admittedly, I looked at the selection of high street earphones, and thought "Phillips, seems a sturdy and reliable make". So I proceeded with the buy and used them for running.

Style. These are a stylish and well-designed set of earphones, they don't seem to get dated over time and they are incredibly comfortable to wear. But is bemuses me why there is so much cable! How long a neck
does Phillips think customers really have?

Sound Quality. The sound quality is unrivalled by other high street earphones. These really are on par with the specialist products and should rightfully be labelled so. I have listened to various genres of music with these headphones and they are more than capable of managing the bass of modern tunes and the clarity and crispness of Beethoven's 7th Symphony (obviously accompanied with a glass of Merlot).

As mentioned previously, I have bought several pairs of these, and I will enlighten yourselves why, below.
Connection. After using these every day, the wire connections to either the headphones or the plug in adaptor started to loosen and eventually fail. This is extremely annoying as first there is crackling in your ear piece, then there is the failure of one of the ear pieces, then complete disaster!

Rubber Plugs. The earphones require/come with, rubber fittings on the ear pieces. They are inter changeable to suit different size ear canals. This is obviously quite a good thing, however, they ping off often and due to their small nature and bouncing capability, they can never be found again. Eventually, you have to buy new plugs or earphones to continue. Just about to go for a run, all mentally prepared for a long distance effort, lovely day, all going well and then BAM! You have your last rubber piece missing so you can't listen to music. WHAT A LET DOWN.

Durability. Not very reliable build quality at all, I went running and with no clip supplied, the excessively long cable constantly gets snagged. In one instance I had to apologise continuously as I ran past a dog walker and got yanked back, to find out I strangled her dog. Yes, it did not only cause mischief but it also ruined set number 2.

Price. For what they are, they are expensive. I mean normal person expensive, £30-£40 a pair. The reliability means, that if you want a set to be used continuously for about 12 months, then you may as well buy 3 pairs.

Fundamental flaws outweigh the quality of sound produced, not worth the expense.
77 comments| 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?