on 3 June 2012
Physics has moved on, as have special effects and hair-cuts, but Carl Sagan and the Cosmos series still manage to enthral and delight the viewer. I don't remember this from my childhood (my folks were probably watching Bullseye) but it was recommended by a friend after we got talking about the Brian Cox shows. I have to agree with some of the other (but overly negative) reviews that the superficial elements are dated and the physics is, in places, showing its age. If you want the cutting edge of scientific discovery - obviously this isn't it. However, what does shine out from this series is Sagan's absolute wonder at the universe and it's multitudinous array of incredible objects. Watching him present the series, I came to realise that his insatiable appetite for knowledge and understanding is totally infectious. I can see why this series has inspired a generation of physicists.
It gets an "I love it" five stars because not only did I enjoyed it immensely - but so did my 8 year old daughter - who now wants to be just like Carl.
What's this?