on 18 February 2009
We received ours in the post yesterday and immediately cleaned and froze our canister so that we could make ice cream today. (We chose pistachio.) Not including the time it took to prepare the nuts- making what we think REALLY IS the best ice cream we've ever had was quite quick and easy. It took about 30 minutes from liquid to firm - then, into the freezer for an hour to firm up. We just scooped our very first serving and are thrilled with the results. My husband is very hard to please....
The components are easy to assemble, easy to clean and certainly sturdy.
There were no signs of the motor struggling, even when the ice cream was quite firm and there were a couple cups of mostly whole pistachios in it.
The ice cream froze quickly enough that there were no perceptible ice crystals. The result was incredibly smooth; Perfect in fact.
One note: Something that worried me at first- When the ice cream is nice and thick, like soft-serve- either serve IMMEDIATELY or transfer to an airtight container and place in the freezer to firm up.
PLEASE NOTE: I was worried because the ice cream at the top and centre of the canister was very soft, whereas the ice cream up against the sides and bottom was as hard as the firmest ice cream you'll ever get from the grocery. I sort of quickly folded these varying textures together, hoped for the best and half expected hard lumps and re-frozen-tasting crystally bits. I need not have worried. After a couple of hours in the freezer, the texture all evens out and the whole batch really is consistent and lovely. I'd pay double for this machine. I just wish I had all the time in the world to try out all the recipes running through my mind!
BUY THIS ONE!