on 11 January 2008
I received this book then skimmed the authors biographies to see if they are web 2.0 hippies. My experience with the agile method is that is used to excuse sloppy work practises or when a developer wants to avoid boring stuff like documentation, requirements gathering, project planning or testing. I rank it along side similar claims such as graphic designers cannot arrive at work on-time and sober because artistic inspiration only strikes early in the morning in night clubs while talking to beautiful people. In short I don't understand it and it is what the cool people do.

My objectives of reading this book were to

Understand what agile Development really is.
Assess whether adopting agile methods will be of benefit to our team.

This book helped me partially achieve both of them quite easily so I recommend it.

My major reservation is that I'd appreciate more support for the book via a web site. James Shore has a good site but [...]
is the only page I could find about the book.

There was a checklist to determine how Agile are the work processes are that I use at the moment. I'd like this to be provided on a website and to be interactive.
The provision of more code examples and templates would be also useful.

The art of agile development does not evangelise or attempt to hard sell Agile. The case studies given seem contrived but are used by the authors give a warts and all account of Agile development. On finishing reading this book I feel I am much more aware of the potential benefits and risks of this approach but not confident it's the right way to go.

This book plays the role of an honest consultant rather then a salesman. James Shore and Shane Warden are skilful writers and have covered a technical subject with élan. If you are anyway involved in software production and considering Agile, then buy it.
29 people found this helpful