on 16 August 2010
I bought this as my Samsung recorder decided to develop a mind of its own and refused to play DVDs by just chucking them out. Having used this for a few days I am very impressed, both by picture and sound quality. The usual features are there such as speed copying from HD to DVD, upscaling for better quality video, USB slot, and a SD slot. A power saving innovation I truly like is that the unit can be timed to switch off completely so power does not even flow via the aerial cable to the TV. The great thing is you can set the time when this should happen. I have set it from midnight to 6 am, a period when I am unlikely to turn on the TV.
The menus are quite straightforward and logical but takes time to get used to. Once you do, it all gels together. The basic functions, such as recording, playing, copying are easy to learn and intuitive. For more complex operations, settle down for a good long read but the manual is well laid out. Some clear thinking has gone into writing this.
For me a real bonus is a feature I found when copying from HD to DVD. Even if the recording on the hard disk is XP quality which would amount to a maximum of an hour on a DVD; if you choose to copy more than an hours worth of XP quality video to a DVD, it calculates the quality EP, LP or whatever, it needs to be to get it all in.
To be honest, it all looks good. Even the remote is very nice, ergonomic and responsive. One thing that puzzled me initially was trying to find a button on the remote to open and shut the DVD tray. It doesn't exist! What a so and so...I thought. Then I realized that to insert a DVD or remove one, you have to go the recorder anyway, so what exactly would a button on the remote to do that actually achieve?
Well done, Panasonic. I just hope this lasts longer than my previous machine.
1313 Comments| 236 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?