5.0 out of 5 stars How can it be 5 star and 1 star, 4 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Dulux PaintPod Roller System
I have thought about buying one for weeks but was confused by the fact that some reviews on Amazon and other sites said the Paintpod was wonderful while others said it was a conplete waste. The discounted price on Amazon convinced me to take a gamble.

I used it today and so far I am impressed. Set up is easy but you do have to follow the instructions. I can appreciate that if you are the sort to blunder in and not read them you will get problems. I followed them and ot worked as described. I started with a ceiling. Following instructions and intermittently running paint to the roller worked a treat, applying the paint gradually. I was amazed there were no leaks. I found it much like using an ordinary roller but without the mess and without having to keep charging the roller. Less climbing the steps was good. I was amazed there was no splatter. I was planning to throw the carpet away so I did not bother with a dustsheet yet there were no spills on it. The cleaning system worked as described and just fed hot water from one chamber to another cleaning the tube and roller. No mess, no problem.

I tried to use the paintpod a second time with another colour and this worked much the same. As with any paint coverage depends on the paint, the colour being covered and the user. I needed a second coat but it worked fine again. This time I washed it throught twice although the first time cleared the tube very well.

Overall the paint is dear ( but you can find good deals at times) and I do not see why it needs to be. But the ease of use, less effort to replenish the roller, and the efficient cleaning system are really good. But I can see that if you do not read the instructions and cannot be bothered to clean it properly you could have problems.

Edit - April 2013. I took the PaintPod out of the cupboard this spring and it did not work! Some kind of defect in the Bluetooth connectivity between roller and base unit. Changing battery did not work so I contacted Amazon supplier 10.5 months into 12 month warranty. They were not that interested but referred me to Dulux (claiming they would just return it to Dulux) contrary to their legal obligations. That said Dulux were superb and promptly sent me a voucher to buy another at a local store. Does not change my view of the product except to question its reliability. Having said that the DIY store treated the voucher as a new purchase. I now have a spare roller and brush of course!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Jun 2012 17:26:31 BDT
Robert W says:
I used the Paintpod again today and I am still sticking to it being 5 star (and no I do not and never have worked for Dulux). If I were being picky, I would make the following points:
- its worth buying a second roller tube if you plan to change the colours you use on the same day. (As with any roller you need time for it to dry out once cleaned)
- others have commented that paint is thin, it is a little thinner but I wish all paint was like this since its easy to apply with brush and roller.
- there is little guidance on how much paint to apply beyond the advice to press the switch on the roller handle intermittently. Not sure if I am using to too much or too little.
- One irritation I find is that its easy to accidentally press the paint release switch while rolling.
- The roller tube is mounted in a cassette. This makes it more difficult to get so close to things (skirting, ceiling etc), compared with a conventional roller, so requires more brush use.

But overall I still think its a good product that saves mess and is easier on the legs and back which may be a consideration for many people.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Sep 2012 23:17:59 BDT
Anistitis says:
Thanks for the review, Answers exactly what I wanted to know.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Mar 2013 19:54:49 GMT
Sapphire says:
Thank you for the review..Decided to buy one. My friend had given me a tip..Dont throw away the paint pod tubs..they can be reused again to fill with other branded paint.

Posted on 20 Mar 2013 12:53:48 GMT
Nicolafine says:
Must you use only Dulux paints with this product?? I find them expensive??

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2013 22:54:12 GMT
Robert W says:
I have heard this too but I think its not a good idea to try this with a new one! I have also been told that it works if you dilute the emulsion to the same consistency. Again never tried it. The paint is dear but if you compare to standatrd Dulux as opposed to the cheap alternatives and look for the BOGOF offers its not that dear

Posted on 15 Jun 2013 20:14:46 BDT
WillMackie says:
A thought regarding expensive paint; could you wash the used Dulux paint pot and simply refill the pot with another type of paint?
I'd imagine that it would be much cheaper. Then again, I'm guessing this may void the warranty...

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jun 2013 10:12:30 BDT
Robert W says:
Yes you could and it would be cheaper. However, the Paint Pod paint is thinner than standard so you could find that it clogs up the tubes. Some say you can dilute standard paint and it may work but the risk is that it clogs up the mechanism.
Dulux will of course say "told you so".
‹ Previous 1 Next ›