on 27 February 2014
A couple of years ago my lovely husband bought me this mixer as a replacement for my 20 yr old Kenwood. It wasn't broken but it was getting tired, the feet had disintegrated so it vibrated across the work surface and my whisk had gone missing (I had children who baked, one's a chef now!).

Initially I was thrilled: it was shiny and stylish plus it had a splash guard and it had little suckers on it's feet so it wouldn't travel across the kitchen – yah!. It was more powerful than my old Kenwood and the recipe book came with promises of versatility and deliciousness. Unfortunately, it didn't live up to it's promises.

Mostly I make cakes and the first thing I noticed was that the standard beater didn't get closed enough to the base and sides of the bowl to pick up the sugar and butter so it gradually beaten together so it when along the lines of beat, use a spatula to wipe the inside, mix, use a spatula to wipe the inside, mix… It was incredibly annoying and time wasting. Next, for whatever reason, it would never beat the eggs in properly and they always curdled; even beating in a couple of spoons of flour it still separated and I still had to clean the sides with the spatula. Because of this problem with the distance between walls of the bowl and the pattern of the beater it was actually easier to stir in the flour, fruit, etc, by hand than using a slow speed on the mixer.

I also make marshmallows and I need to let the mixer whisk away while both the egg whites become stiff and the marshmallow mix cools but it wasn't at all successful not only because of the distance between the bowl and it's contents but also because the motor became very hot. I believe that the beater needs to be redesigned to give more mixing area for small quantities and to make it bigger so that it closer to the inside of the bowl so that it picks up more of the mixture.

And finally, I've had the mixer for a couple of years but I haven't used it that much simply because of these problems. I've made a couple of Xmas cakes, one batch of very disappointing marshmallows, probably half a dozen various Victoria Sandwiches and, just recently, 3 very large Madera cakes and enough Victoria Sandwich mix to make 100 chocolate fairy cakes. It should have been 150 chocolate fairy cakes but the bloody machine broke down. I was lifting the top so I could, once again, scrape off all the mix that was stuck to the inside of the bowl and there was a grating noise followed by the sound of a large spring coming adrift…

I'll probably get it fixed because I can't afford a new Kenwood but quite frankly the Tesco's hand held mixer that a friend lent me in my hour (or two) of need did a job than this. I'll be copying and pasting to the Andrew James' website not with the hope that they'll place (unlikely after all this time) but to let them know exactly what I think of this piece of c**p.
2 people found this helpful