VINE VOICEon 1 September 2006
'Disobedience' is basically the story of Ronit, a woman who grew up in the Orthodox Jewish community in Hendon. A few year before the events in the book she escaped all the tradition and went to live as a 'modern woman' in New York. She comes back to London following the death of her father, who was a Rabbi in the commnity.

I thought Naomi Alderman's first book was subtley written and deeply moving. It is a wonderful exploration of the meaning of tradition, religion and how we fall back on the familiar when all is going wrong.

During the first few chapters I thought I would have some difficulty with some of the Jewish terms, which I am not familiar with and aren't often explained, but I am really glad I persevered.

I should mention that it isn't all deadly serious either, there is a scene at a dinner party which really made me chuckle.

Highly recommended.