on 13 April 2006
They say that Jim Moray created this album on his own laptop. He must be pretty good with the laptop - but that's not the whole story. I actually bought the album just after it won the "Best Album" prize in the Radio 2 awards in 2004. My daughter and I were both captivated by it. To me "Early on Morning" was a song we sang at school in a dreary arrangement, and Jim's treatment is fresh and exciting.

My favourite track is a spell-binding performance of the Child ballad "Lord Bateman". I had never really connected with this ballad before (not even the Nic Jones performance had made much impression), but Jim Moray puts heart and soul into the telling of the story, and now I can't get it out of my head.

And it's not just the laptop, because I've heard Jim live as well. And it's just as good as the album. It's great to hear one so young breathing fresh life into English traditional songs, and keeping the tradition alive.
11 people found this helpful