on 20 February 2012
I love this book. Asthetically the book's a winner, it is beautifully presented and unlike some other cake/baking books currently topping the charts, the recipes are accompanied by some fantastic photos (so you know what you're aiming for if you're a novice cake baker like me!).
I'm already a big fan of Marian Keyes. I've read some of her novels but what I've always loved about Marian, mainly from watching her on TV / listening to interviews with her, is her honesty, her incredible perceptiveness (about life and love!) and particularly, her wonderfully witty take on life. It's a bonus then that despite essentially being a book about baking cakes, Marian still manages to stamp her trademark 'style' on it which will keep you smiling throughout.
Having now tried some of the recipes out, albeit some of the simple cupcake recipes, I can happily confirm that they work (nothing 'B-List' about the chocolate cupcakes - they're stunning!). My other half has even attempted the rock cakes and they were lovely. I can't wait to get stuck into some of the others recipes - the Snickers cheesecake HAS to be attempted (and I won't be giving all away to blokes that's for sure!)
I hadn't realised that Marian suffers with depression. I do too and it's a curse. I've found myself getting stuck into her recipes when I've felt a bit rough and you know what? It works for me too.
But at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter whether you fight this little demon off on a regular basis or you don't suffer with depression at all, it's still a wonderful book and you'll turn out some gorgeous cakes.
Enjoy!
0Comment| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details