on 10 March 2011
Well I haven't made anything with clay for at least 25 years & got this for my 4 yr. old son as he loves elephants so we tried to make this together. Firstly for someone who hasn't made anything like this in a long time it isn't as straight forward as you would think it would be.

The instructions for instance show a small ball to be made for the head though the picture of the ball in the instructions is much smaller than the picture on the front so you wouldn't be too clear on how much to use. It would have helped if I knew how long to keep rolling the clay around to get it to stick together, it's extremely crumbley & near on impossible to get the smooth finish as shown in the pictures, my elephant certainly ended up being more realistic due to the amount of wrinkles & creases he had all over. The clay is hard & nearly brittle I had thought from first appearances that it would be as easy to roll together as blue tack.

The elephant picured on the front of the pack has what I would call small chunky legs, though the instructions inside show that you've to roll on small piece nearly as think as a cocktail stick?? I would imagine if you want to get your elephant looking exactly like the picture it would have been a help to give dimensions of pieces to be used.

All in all it's okay I was also a bit disappointed with the size of the elephant I ended up with it's only about a 1" * 1" I had hoped it would be 1.5-2" instead.

I baked the elephant as per the insructions to 'set' it & despite the fact that all parts were stuck on as well as I could get them, the head, eyeballs & ear fell off when it was taken out of the oven, luckily enough 'superglue' saved the day. The elephant is on the shelf & has pride of place though one false move & I'm sure he'll collapse into a heap.

Finally it says from age 8 on the front, I would think most 8 year olds would find this rubbishy [& probably make it in 2 seconds unlike me!] to me it's aimed at the younger market maybe to do with a little help if needed.
2 people found this helpful