on 16 March 2013
Over the years I have bought many programs from Ulead - which then became part of Corel. I think my first video editing program was Ulead 8. We are now on to Corel VideoStudio X6 - some 8 versions later. I have to say I have had my ups and down with them. X3 was particularly a very bad program...full of bugs and so slow, it almost made editing a video a disaster...so time consuming...error after error. I eventually went back to X2 then on to X4. I did not bother with X5 but having recently upgraded to Windows 8, I was forced to upgrade as X4 was no longer compatible with Windows 7.

I have to say that I am now happy with VideoStudio X6 as opposed to VideoStudio X6 Pro. The primary difference between the two versions is that on the "Pro" editions, you tend to get more transitions, effects etc. I am someone who does this as a hobby for family videos and personally, these additional effects, transitions do not warrant an extra £20 or so. I simply do not use them. I have learned the hard way as in the past I have tended towards the "Pro" editions at additional cost.

X6 is an improved program with several nice additions over previous versions such as the motion tracking feature. The hours I have spent trying to line up a bubble of speech on a moving target!!! This makes the job much easier. The program itself is very fast. Having said that I do have Windows 8 (far quicker at processing than Windows 7), a core i7 processer and 8GB ram.

Installation is easy and takes around 8/10 mins. Having used the program in one form or another for years, I do now find the program easy to use. Essentially there are three steps, import, edit and share. The program is intuitive but you still have to understand a little around what you are doing. There are some great free video tutorials built in to the program, so if you have never done this before, these are very useful. Unlike all previous versions, there is no paper user guide. I do find this disappointing as albeit there are tutorials and PDFs on the internet, I do like the paper versions so you can browse at your leisure. I guess as I have been using the program for so long, this is not essential. I was up and running in no time. You can import from a number of sources, video, DVD, TV, iPad, iPhone and so on. Once you have imported the footage, you move on to the editing suite where you have a whole array of tools you can use. Finally you share your masterpiece through DVD, email, flickr, and so on. I would like to see a feature where you could simply import the video and the program then literally puts this all together. I think we had that on VideoStudio X2 and albeit there are some "instant projects", work is still involved in putting this altogether. This could be simplified somewhat. One final point is that there are free templates etc that you can download within the program, albeit they take a good hr to download! Not sure why Corel could not put these on the DVD disc as it would be much easier to copy from disc to PC rather than download each item individually.

Overall, whether you are a first timer or experienced video editor, I think this program has sufficient capabilities and tools to meet your needs. Highly recommended.

P.s I pre ordered this through Amazon for £41.98, a day later it was £39.99 and a day later £56.14? No idea way but this seems strange. Thankfully I ordered when I did. I still think £56.14 is a fair price.
55 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?