on 15 November 2011
I enjoyed this book but as many have said, I enjoyed it for dubious reasons. In fact reason doesn't come into it. As someone who has never assaulted anyone and avoids violence as a rule, I have to confess I thrilled to the first half when Alex and chums are running riot, being downright evil.

The more philosophical second half introduces two thought-provoking debates but, really, like most fans of this fine book I fear i enjoyed it for dodgy reasons.

I came away not concerned about what rights the state should and should not have to interfere with the individual; nor about whether a natural organism (orange) can ever be made to behave in a desireable, prescribed way (like clockwork); but I did come away womdering if it would be fun to 'malcheck an old veck' or 'do the old in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out' with his daughter. Dodgy or what? I've never even slapped anyone in my life.
4 people found this helpful