on 21 June 2013
The Savages was one of the best train journey's home I ever had, I think I worried some of the commuters though because I didn't always manage not laugh aloud.

At first glance the story is rather straight forward, Sasha Savage has a boyfriend that she doesn't want to introduce to her family because he's vegetarian and well the Savages are not.

I really liked Sasha, she comes across and intelligent and strong. I loved all the other family members as well, particularly granddad, and pretty much everyone else. Even characters with only brief appearances had interesting histories. It's only really Jack (the boyfriend) that comes across as bland but I rather think that's the point.

It's like a check list of everything I want in a book: superb writing, unique and intriguing characters, humor, atmosphere, little story elements that all come together beautifully AND the ability to completely understand and support characters that are doing something you really shouldn't be ok with. Because to them it makes sense and the history behind the Savages tradition is horrible but logical.

Plus I love the cover. I know that's not story related but it's so perfect!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink