3.0 out of 5 stars Marred by stupid design, 27 April 2013
This review is from: Panasonic Lumix LX7 Digital Camera with LEICA F1.4 Summilux Lens - Black (10.1 MP, 3.8x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD (Camera)
The bad news:
Why oh why are high-end enthusiast compact cameras so ludicrously designed when it comes to attaching filters? The LX7 is marketed as an enthusiasts camera which means that a significant proportion of its users will wish to attach a filter, beit a UV or a polariser; in my case both. But to attach a filter to the LX7 you have to remove a threaded ring from the end of the lens assembly, which, like most people who have written about attempting this, I found almost impossible. And then you have to replace the said removed ring with another threaded ring which is additionally threaded so as to accept a filter. And then to make this process even more bonkers, the lens cover supplied with the camera then no longer fits. And to enjoy all of this ludicrous palaver, Panasonic have the cheek to charge £25 for a 50p threaded filter adapter ring and a 50p replacement lens cover, calling it a filter adapter kit. Absolutely ludicrous. (Fuji are just as daft - read around about how to attach a filter to the X100/X100s.)

PANASONIC - YOU HAVE TO SORT THIS OUT - IT MAKES YOU LOOK TOTALLY STUPID. DESIGN THE LX8 SO THAT IT ACCEPTS FILTERS WITHOUT NEEDING ANY STUPID ADAPTER KITS!!!

The good news:
The screen is bright and sharp. The aperture control ring is good to use, as is the picture format switch, and the camera handles well in general. The set-up menus are fairly intuitive to use too. Shooting RAW and processing using DxO Optics Pro v8, with image correction enabled, I find the image quality to be good for the size of sensor. Don't believe some posts claiming that images taken with the LX7 are as sharp as what you might expect from an APS-C camera - they are clearly not. Image quality I would say falls mid-way between back to back images taken on my Lumix FX-30 and Canon 400D, i.e. good for a 1/1.7in sensor. Fine for viewing holiday snaps on a laptop, for example.

PS: Don't believe some of the press articles which claim that the lens is distortion free. It's not - it displays the usual high level of barrel distortion to be expected at the wide angle end of the zoom range. If shooting JPEGs, the in-camera processing software corrects the distortion. And if using something like DxO Optics Pro, with image correction enabled, then the distortion is automatically corrected in the post processing step. But just be aware that if shooting RAW, you'll need to correct out the high level of barrel distortion otherwise it would be blatantly obvious in any photos with rising verticals.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 May 2013, 15:13:16 BST
steve says:
Hi hope you dont mind my asking? I am looking at this camera and the sony rx100, i have two canon 60ds dslr but cannot take them away just in case of damge or theft and need something decent and smallish, i am used to dslr pics and video, would you say it is A+ or just ordinary, i bought the nikon coolpix p300 due to the good reports but its not the best really or maybe im hard to please.. Advice please. cheers steve

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2013, 02:18:19 BST
Last edited by the author on 23 May 2013, 02:21:24 BST
EMANON says:
Its because filters are seldom considered good practice by Pro/Semi-Pro/enthusiast photographers. Considering the digital darkroom & technology 'n that. Helpful review. Thanks. Maybe don't start 'oh why oh why' next time though (a bit points of view / ceefax ;)

Posted on 4 Jun 2013, 23:12:50 BST
I've been wondering about the reviews all over the web for this camera. People wax lyrical about the quality of the pictures, and when I look at samples I am not really impressed. I've compared them to sample pictures of similar class cameras (Olympus XZ-2 et al) and it always comes out the worst of the lot. Is this some elaborate Panasonic marketing ploy?

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Oct 2013, 04:45:19 BST
Just bought a Samsung EX2F. Although I have owned a Panasonic GH2 and respect the brand, the Samsung can produce superb image quality and the auto focus is not to bad either. The articulating display tops it off.

Posted on 9 Jan 2014, 01:39:31 GMT
Owl says:
What filter set-up do you use and where can I buy it?

Posted on 11 Jan 2014, 10:06:29 GMT
K. Harbottle says:
EMANON: "Its because filters are seldom considered good practice by Pro/Semi-Pro/enthusiast photographers" Really?

Posted on 16 Jan 2014, 02:13:34 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Apr 2014, 21:44:47 BST
Owl says:
I just got my LX7. I studied the methodology of thread protection ring removal as indicated in the official advanced user instructions PDF which is available to freely download from the Panasonic site. I held the lens barrel gently but firmly using one set of finger, and used the other to grip and turn the thread protector ring. It was difficult and I almost gave up but succeeded eventually. Why am I telling you this? Because potential buyers need to know that Panasonic have changed the official methodology but they haven't corrected the advanced user instructions PDF on their website. The new advice is given on a special leaflet inside the document plastic envelope in the product box. I only saw that after I'd removed the ring and installed my filter adaptor and filter. I was very annoyed. I could have damaged my camera. I hope this information is useful to new LX7 users. Meanwhile, Panasonic ought to update the advanced instructions PDF on their website so that it matches the updated version included in the product box.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Apr 2014, 16:42:27 BST
Bobster says:
Soz for delay in replying Steve, I only just saw ur comment. Personally, I think you'd be disappointed with LX7 pics if ur used to DSLR/APS-C quality. I would recommend a compact micro4/3 camera for you I think, such as the new Lumix GM1. I just bought one of those and reviewed it - see what u think. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Apr 2014, 16:46:36 BST
Bobster says:
Sorry for delay in replying Martje - I only just saw your comment. Ha, I doubt it is clever marketing ploy Martje. The LX7 is capable of good quality shots (for a compact), but, and it is a big but, the LX7 really does have some limitations. To get decent pics, need to stick to ISO 100 or 200, f4 aperture, and always shoot RAW. Bit like a highly tuned motorcycle, it is good, but within a narrow window. I'd recommend the new Lumix GM1 though. I just bought one of those. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Apr 2014, 16:48:22 BST
Last edited by the author on 17 Apr 2014, 16:49:41 BST
Bobster says:
Sorry for replying to you Lego Man, I only just saw your comment. I use the Panasonic brand filter adapter kit and Hoya digital filters. I bough the Panasonic brand filter adapter kit from the UK Panasonic online shop. And the filters u can get anywhere. :-)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›