on 27 November 2006
I bought my first ever Mac (an iMac G5) last year and was delighted with it and when I saw the MacBook Pro I knew I had to have one. I now do (I'm writing this on it now!) and it is easily the best laptop I have ever owned.

Obviously one of it's key features is the fact that it runs Mac OS. Now I'm not a typical pro-Apple, anti-Microsoft Apple user, and still maintain that Windows is not that bad, but Mac OS is a joy to use. It's more stable than I could imagine (which I admit Windows is assuming you don't screw around with it too much) and seems to be able to handle incredible amounts of open applications at once.

Anyway, enough about the OS, what about the laptop. The first thing you note is that it looks stunning. I've never seen such a brilliant (and huge!) screen on a laptop and it makes the whole user experience way better. It looks stylish both open and closed and whilst I admit that is not important when it comes to choosing a computer, it is nice! The backlit keyboard is an excellent touch, especially if you fly lots and are likely to be working in a dim cabin, though the backlight is supposed to be driven by an ambient light sensor, the settings of which you can't change, and for my taste the sensor does not want the backlight on until it is too dark. Some third party software can sort that out for you.

The power cord is worth a mention - a brilliantly thought through magnetic affair which ensures if you trip over the cord it will come free of the Mac and not drag the thing off the table.

Wireless works well and I've had no bother connecting to any networks.

It is incredibly well geared for expandability with plenty of USB and Firewire ports.

The only negative I can find is that it does get surprisingly hot. I've read on the Apple website that this is normal and actually since upgrading to all the latest drivers it seems cooler, but that has cost it one star.

All in all, a great laptop. Costly, but worth it.
What's this?