on 22 June 2011
Following the career low point of Fly On The Wall, and the stop-gap Who Made Who, Blow Up Your Video was an album I'd written off years ago. I bought it as an LP back in the 80's and don't ever remember having particularly fond memories of it. I recently decided to update my AC/DC back catalogue. This is an album that had some surprises.

It starts as I expected. Heatseeker and Thats The Way I Wanna Rock n Roll are as I remembered - catchy enough, and worthy singles at the time, but fairly formulaic 80's fair from AC/DC. The next 5 songs remind me why I lost my way with this album. Meanstreak, Go Zone, Kissin Dynamite, Nick Of Time, Some Sin For Nuthin are all very, very average. They're not awful, but they don't stand out in any way, and at this point you could easily give up on this album (as I did all those years ago).

Then, 2 very pleasant surprises. Ruff Stuff is a really fantastic bluesy groove. The subject matter is typically sleazy, but it swings along brilliantly, with a really cool, understated riff.
The standout comes next - Two's Up. A song I had no memory of at all, but is now one of my favourite DC songs ever. It is reminiscent of songs like Hells Bells and The Razors Edge in it's style - dark, moody and very, very heavy. It builds slowly and menacingly, and then explodes into one of Angus Young's best ever guitar solo's. It is such a good song it makes the hairs on my neck stand up. A truly fantastic song, an overlooked classic.

The album ends on This Means War, a quick burst of a song, a poor man's Rocker from the Bon Scott era. Overall the album is nowhere near their best, but it has two hidden gems. For those who never gave this album any time, skip past the tedious stuff, and enjoy the highlights.
11 Comment| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?