5.0 out of 5 stars Used for Swimming, 22 May 2012
This review is from: Polar FT1 Heart Rate Monitor (Sports)
I am an old man 62 and have just started to learn Butterfly. After two 25m lengths my heart rate shoots up. I wanted to monitor my HR (Heart Rate) just to be sure that I wasn't overloading my body too much and to check all was in order. Manually counting your pulse is of little use, as you are counting your rate that is changing back to normal.

This watch comes with a transmitter that you strap to your body; it is fairly inconspicuous; the contacts come just below my solar plexus. No one took a bit of notice that I had it on. Last Sunday I used it for the first time fearful that it wasn't going to work in the pool, and if it did, it was not going to be anywhere near accurate. Well I was pleasantly surprised that it worked like a treat. You are not allowed to press the watch's button when you are swimming but you don't need to. I started the watch's application before I started to swim and made sure I had good body contact with the transmitter (which took only a little time to get it sorted out) I then started to swim. My rest HR was 80 in the pool (60 sitting down)and after the two laps I managed to hit 137. It has really reassured me that I am within my bounds ( 220 - age) and it worked as expected. As soon as I stopped swimming, the watch showed me the exact HR for that moment. I could then work out my recovery.

After use, I rinsed the transmitter and the strap it comes with and dried them well immediately. The battery is enclosed and so can't be replaced easily (except by technicians which is probably not cost effective). If left wet it would discharge rapidly. It has a battery life of 2500 hours but my anticipated time of use is still several years for the little I would use it - may be 3 or 4 times a week. There are instructions on how to keep it in good order and how to operate it. For this price I am really delighted and I hope it lasts.

So it works in a chlorinated pool, is very easy to use, and doesn't looks out of place. I can find my instantaneous HR. I can use it to see what my recovery is after one or two minutes: indication of fitness. And contrary to first impressions, they seem to be very water proof, both the watch and the transmitter, and do work well under water. And after my swim it stores one set of data: the time in the pool, the avg and max HR experienced for the session (This is erased if you go through the process again). Obviously it could be used for other sports in wet conditions such as cycling and running. And as an extra perk gives me the time of day and day :-) and I don't need to take my normal watch, of great sentimental value, to the pool where it could be lost, stolen or damaged.

It is now almost December and it is still going strong and I still think it was a worthwhile investment. I think they now have versions where the batteries can be changed by the users which would be a better buy. A very good product.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 Mar 2015 21:59:28 GMT
You have the wrong mindset... The 60's is the new 50's and is not old by any means.
Think young and you will stay young.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2015 22:47:46 GMT
Dr Who says:
no i don't have the wrong mindset. i swim butterfly and i am not a club swimmer. i am now 65.
my article is to help people use this watch not to be lectured by you.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2015 14:01:50 BDT
Scribble says:
Well said! I'm not only impressed with the fact you're swimming Fly at 65, but also that you are tech savvy. Your review is excellent. Thank you, and well done!

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2015 22:33:30 BDT
Thank you Laura.

Posted on 20 Aug 2015 14:38:16 BDT
Geoff says:
Just wanted to say that I was impressed by your review and you swimming activities. One question: You said that: "You are not allowed to press the watch's button when you are swimming", why is that? Could it compromise the waterproofing?

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Aug 2015 22:07:07 BDT
Dr Who says:
Yes. They mention this somewhere in their instructions. You can change the mode by moving the watch near the HR strap and away. It is just the same as pressing the button I think. I haven't use the strap for a long time so I cant remember. I found the set up very useful in the beginning but later on it wasn't so necessary for me as I knew how to warm down with out it.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Aug 2015 22:29:19 BDT
Geoff says:
OK, thank you doctor :-)

Posted on 14 Nov 2015 15:23:02 GMT
Oldgit69 says:
You can change the battery on the watch. It's a bit fiddly but as even older fitness fanatic (71) I changed mine easily this week.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2015 19:58:03 GMT
Dr Who says:
How did you do this? Any tips? Mine is still going but I use the watch during the day sometimes and to keep it going will be brilliant. I would like to know how you did it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›