VINE VOICEon 25 January 2006
I must admit I love remix projects - especially if they're done by my favourite producers - or even fans of a specific group or genre. So when I heard Beck's Geurolito - I was quite impressed.
Beck's Geurolito is based on Beck's 2005 smash Guero - but he asked a group of remixers to do some work for this project; and in my opinion works well. Amongst the two Beastie Boys, Mario C and Ad-Rock, Air, John King and Boards Of Canada submitted remixes.
This album starts off nicely with a bossa-driven remix of E-Pro, nicely remixed with a country feel to it. I love the breakdown, really Lennon-esque!
I really feel I have to comment on Island's remix of "Qué Onda Guero" as it's really interesting. You can tell it's very influenced by Bjork, but yet it's got the cheekiness of The Herbaliser, again just shows you dance isn't dead.
Other gems include Air's 80s look at "Heaven Hammer", Numan-esque feel with touches of The Human League; breathtaking.
Ad Rock takes a more breakbeat attitude to the remix he submitted - his Beastie Boy feel is definitely omnipresent here, this wouldn't look out of place on "To The 5 Boroughs". I like the way they played with the dubby echoes.... funky!
Mario C's on the other hand is more trip hop - he's gone for laid back beats funky breaks and excellent use of Beck's vocals. Fresh.
My favourite remix for quite a while (thanks to a 12" he released not so long ago) has to be 8Bit's reconstruction of "Hell Yes" - I like the way they've made retro computer music actually sound good. It's a really addictive remix, so do expect to play it a few times.
Other remixes I liked are Board Of Canada’s trip hop view on "Broken Drum", with its atmospheric feel and yet isn't a million miles from indie. I also enjoyed Diplo's ragga feel to "Wish Coin"; Subtle's disorientating prospective on "Farewell Ride"; and the bonus track "Fax Machine Anthems"; with its menacing electronic attitude and dark rhythms.
Altogether I would say this is an excellent remix album, and is a welcomed addition to his back catalogue. It's been a long time since I've listened to an album from start to end without skipping, so that’s something that a lot of artists can't always hope for. Beck definitely has picked some fine remixers, and the remixers have done a sterling job!
Add this to your collection today
0Comment| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details