on 17 July 2014
The Scone: This is a well-written, entertaining, and meticulously researched book, which provides it with a very strong base. Through the lens of psychology, the theory and practice of creativity and habit formation are discussed in a way that will inevitably be valuable for the reader. In its beginnings the emphasis is on what a normal busy person might be able to do in a business context, which is the most obvious realm of Too Much. Many books would consider that more than sufficient. But Tony knows that the Scone is not enough.

The Jam: It would be comfortable and safe to stop at productivity in the workplace. But Tony turns the light to shine on the individual underneath the suit, and that’s where it starts to get really interesting, and challenging. I found Tony’s writing about values very thought provoking indeed. There is a huge difference between understanding something and actually doing something about it. Tony challenges his research by asking “So What?” and proceeding from there into the sweet and sticky layer below the Western Citizen – the matter of who we truly are as individual humans; want to be rather than what our environment might steer us to be. Tony mostly uses himself as an example so he is utterly free to criticise beyond reproach.

The Cream: There is a layer that goes even further – what are my deepest fears and feelings of inadequacy and failure? If I want to get in touch with my creativity or invite meaningful positive change, this will never happen if I am not prepared to go to this place. Tony said to me in the book that the bright treasure can only be found on the other side of this darkness, should I dare to go. And if I don’t dare right now, then that’s OK, it’s not as pressing a value as I might have thought, at least not today.

But if it is, then buy this book, make yourself a cuppa and head off on a journey of self-determination.
0Comment| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?